How To Optimize Your Social Media Presence (To Stand Out Online)


Everyone is online. 

Well, almost everyone is online. 

If you’re a business owner, and you’re not optimizing your social media presence, you’re missing out on a huge marketing opportunity! Unfortunately, it’s not enough to just make a Facebook page for your business and leave it as is or throw up a few links to products or blog posts. Your social media accounts are an extension of your business and a way for you to connect and engage with your potential clients and customers. 

So, here are a few ways you you can polish up your social media presence so your business can shine its brightest.


Be Consistent

Unify your social media handles. Your Instagram handle, your Twitter handle, and your Facebook page name should all match, and they should all make sense for your business’ name. People are visual creatures, so use the same logo across platforms as well.

While your bio/profile doesn’t have to be exactly the same, it should be similar. On Twitter, use a truncated version of your Facebook page description, for example. On Instagram, make sure people know exactly what they will get when they visit your profile. Your Instagram bio is PRIME real estate, so use it to your advantage.

You can see on my Instagram and Facebook profiles below that my profile photos match, my colors schemes are the same an my bio is similar. (I had to edit my Facebook handle, since my regular handle wasn't available). If that happens to you too, make sure to pick something that's as simiilar as posisble. 

Screen Shot 2018-03-21 at 9.32.33 AM.png
Screen Shot 2018-03-21 at 9.33.36 AM.png

Do Unto Others

What do you look for on social media? If you’re like most people, you’re looking for information, entertainment and community. Chances are you are NOT looking to be sold to every time you pick your phone or open your laptop. So make sure you post with that in mind. Just because you have a business, doesn’t mean all of your posts have to be advertisements or promotions for your business.

You want to, first entertain and connect with your audience in other ways that are still relevant to your brand and your message, then show them the other things that you have to offer. A good rule of thumb is to follow the 80/20 rule: provide entertainment, information, and interaction about 80% of the time to keep fans and customers engaged. The other 20% can be devoted directly promoting your services or products. 

You also want to make sure you are posting on a regular schedule so that you stay fresh in the eyes of your followers, and the algorithms.  Once you the mysterious workings of the "algorithm" determines that you are relevant  to your followers, your posts will get a lot more face time. If you only post once a week, chances are you won't reach very many people. 


The Devil’s in the Details

Once you’ve unified your handles and settled on profile photo that best represents your business, it’s time to make sure your profiles are completely filled out. Double check Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, and any other social media platforms, to make sure you’ve entered not only your website but also your bio and contact information.

Another important detail is to make sure that your visual imagery is cohesive. Since we are such visual creatures, it's important to make your you are presenting a unified image online image. Take a look at your brand’s color palette and make sure you are using it to present a cohesive brand image to the internet at large.

Then make sure the images that you post are high-resolution and well-composed. Dark or blurry images are a turnoff for potential clients. Are your banner and profile image the correct size and resolution? Is the text on your graphics clear and easy to read? Are you consistent in the fonts that you use? 


Be Conversational

Another piece of detective work involves taking a close look at the people you are marketing to. Have you polled your fans and followers to find out more about them? Learn everything you can about your fans and followers to better tailor your content to their needs. You can learn exactly the kind of content that your potential customers and clients want, all you have to do is ask them! 

Speak to them, engage with them and show them the human side of your business. Once they know, like and trust you or your brand, they are more likely to become loyal customers / clients.

You're on Your Way

Taking a close look at how your social media accounts represent your brand is the first step towards a more lucrative online presence. Social media isn’t going away, so better to make sure you have your social ducks in a row sooner, rather than later. 

Of course all of this can be a little overwhelming (after all, that’s why people hire me). So, what do you find is the most difficult part of staying on top of your social media game? What questions do you have about how you can have a better online presence?